Thursday, June 4, 2009

Almost there!

Well folks, I am almost there. After a small error by United in Denver I missed my flight to Frankfurt, and had to stay the night in Washington D.C. Lucky for me- and over 100 other individuals- United footed the bill for the taxi, hotel and breakfast. Michael rebooked by flight, and although I spent a great part of the evening trying to reconnect with my bag I did get some sleep and made both flights the next day. So instead of traveling Denver, D.C., Frankfurt, Mumbai I traveled Denver, D.C., New York, Zurich, Mumbai. Well I haven’t actually left for Mumbai, but I am sitting at the gate having made it through four security gates, one customs gate, and one customs gate left to go in Mumbai. (below is a photo of my bags and then a photo of my plane getting ready for boarding)

Normally, I would not mention the number of security gates, but I am carrying a Styrofoam box with my bacterial media on ice for my water-testing project. Obviously they do not let you carry ice packs on the plane unless it is a special circumstance, so the number of gates is rather nerve-wracking in my particular situation.

So my first recommendation to everyone is to fly Swiss Air. Yesterday I would have said Lufthansa, Lufthansa, Lufthansa, but I have to say that I continue to be extremely impressed by the Swiss, and their ability to do things so elegantly while maintaining complete and often times excessive performance. Each and every seat had its own personal entertainment device with a remote/phone on one side and a game controller on the other. You could select from one of about 20 movies to watch, or 10 audio books, music, games, or flight simulation. The meals were great, attendants pleasant, and the best part of all, I got the very last seat in the back of the plane with no one next to me, and no toilets to keep you awake. It was a great flight to say the least. Suffice it to say I am excited for my flight to Mumbai with Swiss Air which departs in roughly 1.5 hours (2am Denver time June 4th).

So I guess that is all for now. It will most likely take me a day or two to find a good Internet access spot that I can frequent. Luckily I can type things up on my computer ahead of time, and then just post them once I get access to the Internet. So I hope you are all enjoying your patch of rainy weather before the hot dry weather sets in for the summer.

Type at you later!

--Kymberlee


2 comments:

  1. way to go Kymberlee. I am with you in my thoughts all the way and looking forward to your daily blogs. I am glad that your trip, which started out very roughly, is going well now. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a trooper. From the one that got off from an airplane once and came home.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete